Launching the 2nd Annual #CSEdWeek!
It’s an exciting time for computer science education, as we prepare to launch the second annual Computer Science Education Week (CSEdWeek)! CSEdWeek 2011 is a call to action to raise awareness of computer science education and computing careers among students, educators, and the public. CSEdWeek has been endorsed by Congress as December 4-10, 2011, in recognition of Admiral Grace Murray Hopper’s birthday, December 9, 1906, and her contributions to the field of Computer Science.
Please join us this year in spreading the word and participating in CSEdWeek! The first step is visiting http://www.computinginthecore.org/forms/sign/pledge-step1 and simply letting the world know that you support CSEdWeek, and how you plan to commemorate the week.
Below are a few easy ways to incorporate CSEdWeek into your institution’s activities:
- Visit a Local High School: Send computer science clubs or groups of student advocates to area middle/high schools to advise them about computing, career opportunities, classes needed to prepare for college, etc. See http://www.ncwit.org/roadshow for guidelines and templates for taking your show “on the road”.
- Invite Pre-college Students to Your Campus: Host a hands-on workshop/open house for parents, counselors and high school students to: explore the world of computer science; learn about the career opportunities and salaries; and discover what’s special about your program. You might consider using CS Unplugged to teach lessons that explain how computers work without using computers. Visit http://www.ncwit.org/unplugged for activities and instructions.
- Host an Open House for Non-Majors and Community College Students: Host a computer science open house/social hour for non-majors and local community colleges to share with them the opportunities available in computer science and develop interest in computer science classes. This should be a hands-on opportunity for students to try computing first hand.
For more background and information on CSEdWeek see http://www.csedweek.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/CSEW2010-1PageBackgrounder.pdf and look for more resources on the http://www.CSEdWeek.org website.
Help us spread the word!
- Once you take the CSEdWeek pledge, click the ‘share’ button to share your commitment throughout your networks.
- ‘Like’ CSEdWeek on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/CSEdWeek and join the conversation.
- Blog, tweet, and post to spread the word and raise awareness. Use the hashtag: #CSEdWeek.