JES 5.02 Now Released, and Media Computation 4th Edition Slides Available
JES 5.02 is now released at https://github.com/gatech-csl/jes/releases/tag/5.020. I have links to all the main downloads at http://mediacomputation.org .
Fixes in JES 5.02 (with many thanks to HenryStevens and sportsracer48 for fixes):
- Fixes a problem if you quit during raw_input that you can’t do another raw_input
- Makes the Sound explorer fully functional again
- Fixes colorizing
- Makes autosave work again
- Fixes a threading error if you hit return too rapidly in the Command Area
- Unicode characters in input file get flagged. (Jython can’t execute a line with unicode characters on it.)
You can find all the fourth edition Powerpoint slides (including a 68Mb zip of all of them) at http://coweb.cc.gatech.edu/mediaComp-teach/60. I’ve put some of the Peer Instruction question slides into the chapter PPT slide decks, but you can find more at the instructors-only website (see the Media Computation website for more on the teacher website).
Most of the changes are in the early chapters. Chapter 3 on text and language manipulation is all new. The latter chapter PPT slide decks have a few new slides in each deck, including:
- Creating state-preserving versions of picture manipulation functions in Chapter 16 on Functional Programming
- Subclassing Picture and Sound to move functions into methods in Chapter 17 on Object-oriented Programming
- Recursive turtle patterns, which are possible with an improved Turtle class in JES 5 in Chapter 17