Call for participation in SIGCSE 2012 Doctoral Consortium
CALL FOR PARTICIPATION Doctoral Consortium
Auckland, New Zealand, Sunday September 9th 2012 (prior to ICER 2012)
Deadline for applications: 4 June, 2012
The Doctoral Consortium (DC) will provide an opportunity for a group of PhD students to discuss and explore their research interests and career objectives with a panel of established researchers in computing education research. The consortium has the following objectives:
(1) to provide feedback on participants’ current research and guidance on future research directions;
(2) to develop a supportive community of scholars and a spirit of collaborative research;
(3) to support a new generation of researchers with information and advice on research and academic career paths; and
(4) to contribute to the ICER goals through interaction with other researchers and participation in conference events.
DC participants will have the opportunity to present their ideas to the rest of the ICER attendees via a short presentation before a poster session during the conference.
The consortium is designed primarily for students who are currently enrolled in any stage of doctoral studies with a focus on computing education research. Students at any stage of their doctoral studies are welcome to attend. The number of participants is limited to 12.
In addition to the organizers, senior researchers in the field will provide feedback and suggestions for improvement of the research proposals.
Each applicant should submit an application that includes the following information:
* Curriculum Vita
* summary of their research, including motivation, background and literature to contextualize the research, research questions, methodologies used or planned, and any results obtained to date.
* questions related to the research that the applicant would like to discuss and get feedback on at the doctoral consortium
The research summary should be 1-3 pages long, depending on the stage of the research. This summary will be made available to other participants of the doctoral consortium to allow them to provide feedback and prepare questions on the research.
Applicants should send their application by email to: Judy Sheard (firstname.lastname@example.org) by 4 June 2012.
Notification of acceptance will be sent by email by 18 June.
Registration deadline is 2 July.
Note: When submitting the applications, please put ICER DC 2012 in the Subject line!
Venue and registration
The doctoral consortium will be held at the Auckland University of Technology on Sunday 9 September from 9.30-17.00. See ICER web site http://wp.acm.org/icer-conference/ for more information about travelling and hotels.
There is no participation fee for the DC; student registration rates are available for ICER. Some financial assistance for travel and expenses
will be available.
If you would like more information, please contact:
Faculty of Information Technology
Phone: +61 3 9903 2701
Doctoral Consortium co-chairs
Allison Elliott Tew